- Oct. 2013 - Emma Levin-Nielsen (BS West Virginia Wesleyan College) is joining the lab as a MS student in January 2014. Welcome Emma!
- Oct. 2013 - Paper in press with some colleagues at Texas Tech University. Griffis-Kyle, K.L., Kovatch, J.J. and Bradatan, C. 'Water quality: a hidden danger in man-made desert catchments.' Wildlife Society Bulletin.
- Oct. 2013 - Steve Phelps was awarded a NASA Student Fellowship for undergraduate research investigating chemical signals among aggregated freshwater mussels.
- Oct. 2013 - I will be co-chairing with Dr. Gary Schultz a session, 'Microbial dynamics in the water column of rivers and streams' at JASM in 2014.
- Sept. 2013 - Paper publsihed: Schultz, Jr., G. E, Kovatch J.J. and Anneken, E.M. 'Bacterial diversity in a large, temperate, heavily modified river, as determined by pyrosequencing.' Aquatic Microbial Ecology. 70:169-179.
- Aug. 2013 - Mark Castle, Tuesday Moats and Sam Cogar presented a poster 'The metabolic theory of ecology as displayed by the respiration rate of aggregated mussels' at the Undergraduate Capstone Conference at the Mathematical Biosciences Institute in Columbus, OH.
- Aug. 2013 - Josh Hamrick presnted a poster 'Modeling productivity within a light-attenuating turbulent system' at the Undergraduate Capstone Conference at the Mathematical Biosciences Institute in Columbus, OH.
- Aug. 2013 - Thaddeus Tuggle (BS Cedarville University) joined the lab as a MS student. Welcome Thad!
- May 2013 - Mark Castle, Tuesday Moats and Sam Cogar became NSF Undergraduate Biological Mathematics Fellows for a year long undergraduate project investigating the scaling effects of aggregation on freshwater mussels. Sam and Tuesday are new to the lab.
- May 2013 - Invited talk given: Kovatch, J.J. and Schultz, Jr. G.E. Comparative effects of surface mining on microbial biodiversity in conjoined river tributaries. Society for Freshwater Science Annual Meeting, Jacksonville, FL.