GLY 110 :
GLY 314 : Mineralogy
GLY 421: Igneous
& Metamorphic Petrology
Low T Aqueous Geochemistry
Geology of Earth Resources
Lab Techniques in Geology
Photomicrographs of rocks
First Year Seminar
K. EL-SHAZLY, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Geology
Department of Geology, Marshall University
131 Science Building, Huntington, WV 25705
Geology, University of Alexandria, Egypt, 1983.
Geology, Stanford University, 1987.
Geology, Stanford University, 1991.
Teaching Interests: Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology, Geochemistry,
Mineralogy, Geology of Earth Resources, Tectonics, Introductory Geology
evolution of orogenic belts and continental margins, and reconstructing
the P-T-time history of metamorphic rocks. These studies involve field
mapping, mineral analysis, application of geothermobarometers, phase
equilibria, and a variety of geochronological techniques to metamorphic
rocks to develop a tectonic model for the area studied.
Fluid - rock
interaction, with special emphasis on the role of fluids in metamorphism
and ore genesis (particularly in subduction zone settings).
assessment of the thermodynamic data of minerals, construction of
metamorphism and partial melting in the Central Blue Ridge Province,
Origin of Banded Iron Ores, Central Desert of Egypt.
mesothermal Au vein deposits, Egyptian Eastern Desert
Acid Mine Drainage
effects on the stream water, WV & OH
metamorphism and tectonic evolution of the continental margin of
Petrogenesis of the
Melrose Stock, Dolly Varden Mountains, NV
A. K., Worthing, M. A. and Liou, J. G.,
eclogites, blueschists and epidote amphibolites from NE Oman: A record
of protolith compositional control and limited fluid infiltration.
Journal of Petrology, 38:
1461 - 1487.
A. K. and Sisson, V. B., 1999. Retrograde evolution of eclogites and
blueschists from NE Oman: Evidence from fluid inclusions and
petrological data. Chemical Geology, 154: 193 – 223.
A. K., 2001. Are pressures
in blueschists and eclogites overestimated? The case from Oman.
Lithos, 56: 231 - 264.
A. K., Brocker, M., Hacker, B., and Calvert, A., 2001. Formation and
exhumation of blueschists and eclogites from NE Oman: New constraints
from Rb – Sr and 40Ar/39Ar
dating. Journal of Metamorphic
Geology, 19: 233 - 248.
A. K. and Sisson, V. B., 2004. “Fluid inclusions in carpholite-bearing
metasediments and blueschists from NE Oman: Constraints on P-T
evolution”. European Journal of Mineralogy, 16: 221 - 233.
El-Shazly, A. K. and
Al-Belushi, M., 2004. “Petrology and Chemistry of
rodingites and nephritites from NE Oman”. International Geology
Review, 46: 904-938. (To be compiled in a special GSA publication in honor of R.
B. A., El-Shazly, A. K., Helba, H., Khalil, K. I., and Bodnar, R. A.,
2008. H2O – CO2 – CH4
bearing fluid inclusions in quartz: insights into the origin and
evolution of two different hydrothermal Au deposits from the Egyptian
Eastern Desert. Economic Geology, 103, 405 - 424.Click here for the poster presented at the 2005 GSA
Click here for a pdf
of this paper.
El-Shazly AK, and Tracy
RJ, 2007. Electron microprobe ages of monazites from the Winding Stair
Gap, Eastern Blue Ridge, GSA southeastern Section, Abstracts with
Programs, V. 39, #2, p. 26.
El-Shazly AK, and Loehn, C., 2007.
Evolution and Ages of Granulite Facies Rocks from the Winding Stair Gap,
Eastern Blue Ridge, EOS Trans AGU,
Fall Meet. Suppl., Abstract
Click here for the poster presented at the 2007
AGU Fall meeting.
Napier, J., and Sanderson, D.D.,
Petrology and Geochemistry of the Melrose
Stock, East Central Nevada.
Geological Society of America Abstracts with
Programs, Vol. 41, No. 7, p. 114
Click here for the poster presented at GSA
El-Shazly, A. K., Sanderson, D. D., and Napier, J.,
2010. Petrogenesis of I-type granitoids from the Melrose Stock,
east-central Nevada. International Geology Review. V. 53: 1522 -
Click here for a pre-print
of this article.
Khalil, I. K., and El-Shazly, A. K., 2010. Banded Iron
Formations from the Eastern Desert of Egypt: A New Type of Ore?
Goldschmidt 2010 Conference Abstracts, A059. Knoxville, TN.
here for a copy of the poster presented at the Conference.
- El-Shazly A.K., Loehn, C., and Tracy, R. J., 2011.
P–T–t evolution of granulite facies metamorphism
and partial melting in the Winding Stair Gap, Central Blue Ridge, North
Carolina, USA. Journal of Metamorphic Geology, 29: 753 - 780. DOI:
Click here for a pre-print of
- El-Shazly, A. K., Khalil, K. I., Rohrbaugh, N., and
Gagnon, K., 2011. Multi-stage origin of Neoproterozoic banded iron
formations from Egypt. Abstract B41F-0263, Fall Meeting, American
Geophysical Union, San Francisco, California, 5 – 9 December.
- Khalil, K. I., and El-Shazly, A. K., In press. Petrological and Geochemical
Characteristics of Egyptian Banded Iron Formations: Review and New Data from Wadi
Kareim. Geochemistry: Exploration, Environment, Analysis: 12: 105 – 126. Click here for a pre-print of this article.
- El-Shazly, A. K., Khalil, K. I., and Geisler, D., 2012. Origin of Neoproterozoic banded iron formations from Egypt: Geochronological, petrological, and geochemical constraints. Abstract 209990, Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, 44 (7): 37.
- Backus, E., Gagnon, K., El-Shazly, A. K., and Khalil, K. I., 2012. Geochemistry of the Banded Iron Formations and their host rocks in the eastern desert of Egypt. Abstract 210383, Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, 44 (7): 245.
- El-Shazly, A. K., and Khalil, K. I., 2013. A non-glaciogenic origin for Neoproterozoic banded iron formations from Egypt. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs., 45 (7): 299.
- El-Shazly, A. K., and Khalil, K. I., 2014. Banded Iron Formations of Um Nar, Eastern Desert of Egypt: P-T-X conditions of metamorphism and tectonic implications. Lithos, 196–197: 356–375. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.lithos.2014.01.006
- Khalil, K. I., El-Shazly, A. K., and Lehmann, B., 2015. Late Neoproterozoic banded iron formation (BIF) in the central Eastern Desert of Egypt: mineralogical and geochemical implications for the origin of the Gebel El Hadid iron ore deposit. Ore Geology Reviews: 69: 380 - 399.
El-Shazly, A. K., and Khalil, K. I., 2016. Metamorphic and Geochronologic constraints on the tectonic evolution of the Central Eastern Desert of Egypt: implications for origin of some Neoproterozoic Banded Iron Formations. Precambrian Research, 283: 144-168. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.precamres.2016.07.016. http://authors.elsevier.com/a/1TZpE_6tN843fF
El-Shazly, A. K., 2009.